Monday, April 20, 2009

Why I felt at home in US

Although Turkey is many miles from America, you might be surprised to discover how many things these countries have in common and how Turks integrate better in America than in any other European country.
Since I have been working in Austin, Texas, I will give you ten reasons why Turks integrate better in the American society than in a Western European society. I'l explain why I immediately felt at home when I set foot on American soil.


For instance the importance of religion.

Around the world, especially in Europe, the role of religion is rapidly declining. In the three months I have been living in Austin (the most liberal city in Texas!) I have seen more churches than I’ve ever seen in the thirty years in the Netherlands! This alone speaks volumes about the importance of religion in American life. Just like in America, people in Turkey expect you to be religious. Turks are expected to be a good Muslim, just like Americans are expected to be a good Christian. Calling yourself an ‘atheist' , which is the preference of any intellectual in The Netherlands to be well-integrated, is not really a recommendation in most circles. Here in Texas, I experienced that people react the same and they have more respect for people with a religion other than their own then for people with no religion at all.

To be continued..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this post: